The Mary Jo Wegner Arboretum is seeking to fill an environmental/naturalist internship position. Current students interested in gaining a perspective of a career at an arboretum, in a natural resources field, or horticulture are encouraged to apply.
Environmental/Naturalist Internship Position
This internship is designed for a student following an environmental/naturalist degree path with an interest in gaining a perspective of what it takes to access a career at an arboretum, in a natural resources field, or horticulture. The Environmental/Naturalist Intern assists the Arboretum staff in providing hands-on help with summer kid’s camps. This position also provides assistance to the Arboretum Society with other projects as needed.
Accountability: Reports to Education Programs Coordinator
• Work in cooperation with Education Programs Coordinator to develop summer program activities, and coordinate their implementation
• Identify the supplies and equipment needed to support classes and camps
• Research other Arboretums for family engagement ideas
• Communicate with participants throughout the duration of camps
• Incorporate the study of plants, animals, and nature into summer camp programs
Additional Qualities Needed:
• Become knowledgeable about the history of Mary Jo Wegner Arboretum & East Sioux Falls Historic Site
• Meet and greet all guests to the Jasper Educational Center and offer a warm welcome to the Arboretum
• Must be willing to work part time variable day shifts, for an average of 20 hours per week for 12 weeks.
• Time management skills
• Ability to work with children of all ages and abilities
• Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism
• Must possess a positive service-oriented attitude toward all guests and employees
• Ability to work cooperatively with diverse populations, demonstrating cultural competency and community awareness
College Student currently in environmental, plant studies, or other related field
Knowledge and or experience with interactive instruction, especially in the field of natural sciences
Dates: June–August 2024
April 15, 2023